Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lessons to be learned...

I'm frantically trying to get ready (and not go crazy with anticipation) for "the cruise" which is only 11 days away according to http://www.princess.com/! And I'm trying to remember everything I need to have ready to go next Saturday when Gerry & I are cooking for 300+ Girl Scouts.

But there are some news items just too good to pass up. Today's lesson:
Wash. Soldier Dead After Accidental Shooting (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30180915/)

Apparently this soldier and his wife spent time out with friends yesterday and at some point after they returned (apparently in the wee hours of Easter Sunday), he decided that his wife needed to know how to handle a gun properly. (I can't help but think this decision was made "under the influence" of something other than pure air.)

Now I admit, I'm not the sharpest shooter on the range, but I see several problems inherent in this decision:
  1. Spouses do not generally make for the best teachers for each other (and I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking especially when it comes to dangerous weaponry instruction).
  2. 1:30 am? Seriously? There's probably a reason why most all regular educational forums schedule their classes during the day and NOT at 1:30 am!
  3. This soldier was scheduled to deploy soon. If this couple's intent was to keep him possibly getting killed overseas, somebody goofed..

It is certainly another tragic situation and I do feel sorry for his family, but "accident"? - there's nothing that here that even remotely says this was an accident (an unintentional, unforeseen occurrence). This was just plain stupid and as Forrest's mama would say "stupid is as stupid does" - you can't be surprised when something stupid happens as the result of your own stupidity. And as Gerry said, "There's no such thing as an accidental shooting at 1:30 in the morning."

tw

No comments:

Post a Comment