Friday, July 18, 2014

The beginning of the next chapter...

Today will be, after 27+ years, Gerry's last day of work at Microsoft.  The announcement that his position was being eliminated wasn't any real surprise, but the suddenness of it did come as a bit of a shock.  Though the timing wasn't exactly his own, we had ironically (and somewhat prophetically) already been looking towards and prepping for his eventual retirement (which we estimated at 3+ years down the road.  As I've often told my kids:  Life is what happens when you're making other plans.).

I would like to go on the record officially today and say that (at least until yesterday when he was abruptly informed that he was now a casualty of company redirection), he has been a very valued and valuable employee for each and every single one of those 27 years, 4 months and 17 days.

Cake (made by Jenny) in honor of
his 25th anniversary with the company
(March 2012)
Microsoft's loss is definitely my gain and I truly look forward to not having to share him with his daily work life.  (You can't imagine how much my "honey do" list has grown just since learning this yesterday!  I'm thinking that one of two things will happen: 1) he will get everything done in short order and we will spend even more time traveling and visiting our kids and grandsons; or 2) he will decide it was more "restful" to be employed outside the house and begin updating his resume and contact list).  I'm sure there will be some period of adjustment - no doubt we'll be joining some new gym together and he's promised to help with my quilting (which I'm sure means less "UFOs" and more completed projects).  We consider ourselves the beneficiaries of all the blessings this career has afforded us over the years (especially since it was this job that brought us to Washington state and some of our greatest friendships).  But whatever comes next, rest assured that we've been looking forward to our "post retirement life" for nearly 35 years now and it is definitely our aim to make the most of this new "opportunity"!



That first company picnic at Radar Lake (1987)
In any event, I just wanted to take this chance to say that I am so proud of him and everything he has accomplished in life (so far - there is much more to come, I'm sure!)  He's heard from all three of our kids who each shared their love and pride with him in their own incredible, amazing ways which is, after all, the best and truest testament of his character.

It has been one hell of a ride - and I truly believe that the best is yet to come!  [And a special thank you to Ross Garmoe for taking a leap of faith and hiring him way back in 1987!]




later (and with much love and pride), tw

No comments:

Post a Comment