Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 13: (Yet) Another Day at Sea

The day had promise. As part of our “anniversary package” (yeah, I know…we celebrate our anniversary every time we cruise!), we were invited by Captain Bilson to tour the bridge and our appointment was for 10 am. We took our walk (okay, more like a stroll) on the bridge (I’m up to almost 2 miles now!) first and then came back to “prepare” (Gerry wanted to make sure he was wearing his best Princess Cruise polo for the event). Only minutes before we were to head to Deck 12, we received a phone call (our phone never rings unless it’s for an unnecessary wake up call) that due to current weather conditions the Captain was needed to actually, you know, steer the boat and unfortunately would have to cancel today’s tour. They were so sorry but hopefully they would be able to reschedule and they would let us know if that became a possibility.
Well I’m all for having the ship steered correctly - especially since it was very foggy, without much, if any visibility. But I’m thinking this was more like an excuse to keep possible ebola germs from invading the bridge. Hmpf!

So instead we went back to meet up with our friends for trivia - not much luck to be had there (they wouldn’t give me credit when I said that Zhivago’s first name was Doctor). Instead of lunch, we opted for “high tea” (Gerry had never been and thought it was wonderful…I’m going to try to talk him into it again!) While everyone else was having the Captain’s Gala Farewell Dinner (about half are disembarking in LA and not coming back aboard…we ALL have to disembark for customs - what a country!), we opted instead for dinner at Sabatini’s. It was pretty funny - Gerry kept trying to pronounce the Italian names for things he ordered but our waiter kept correcting him with the English version (Gerry’s Italian ain’t that good but our waiter only spoke Spanish so it didn’t seem to matter anyway!)

After we were thoroughly sated, we tried to hook up with our “evening trivia friends” only to find that they had replaced us with another couple. No worries - the game last night was they would play about 6 notes of a 50’s song and you had to guess the song AND the artist. The first one turned out to be Bobby Darin’s “Mack the Knife” which neither one of us would have gotten so we knew this wasn’t our game. We went looking for something else to do - a comic or Willie Tyler - but nothing much seemed to be happening there. We went to our favorite bar (Crooner’s Martini Bar) where the piano guy was just starting up with TV & Movie Trivia. SCORE! Since we didn’t know if we were really going to stay we decided to just be a team of 2 (me guessing and Gerry saying “yeah, that looks right!”) The guy forgot to tell us the rules BEFORE we switched answer sheets otherwise I would have had 14 of 15 correct but since I didn’t know you could name either the show/movie title, the song title OR the composer, I missed the one with “Flight of the Bumblebee” (recognized the song but didn’t know it was the theme for The Green Hornet). As it turned out it didn’t matter, because I got the “face off” with the other two teams that had the most (recognized Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head from Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid with only two notes!) By the time I got all the way to the back of the room with my prize (another bottle of champagne), we had been joined by 3 guys (members of the “Friends of Dorothy” group who had been meeting here on the ship). Apparently one of the guys had recognized us from our stroll around the Deck because he remembered he thought it was so cute (or was it adorable/) since we were holding hands on our walk.

Now I had seen the daily meeting listed for the “Friends of Bill W” in our Princess Patter and knew what that was. This time, however, I also saw a “Friends of Dorothy” meeting listed and had been wondering for nearly two weeks what was that one was for. It wasn’t until I got back to the room last night that I put it all together! I’m still laughing at how long it took me to figure that out!!!

tw

1 comment:

  1. I never even wondered or thought about "Bill W"
    or Dorothy so I just had to do an internet search - so now I am educated and may have an answer at some unusual trivia game sometime.
    Have a Great Day! Dennis W.

    ReplyDelete