Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 14: Oh My Aching Neck!

“Weiler” must be German for “Clampett” or we are clearly NOT those kind of people who are accustomed to royal treatment…but we try.

Yesterday was our last day with all our newfound friends (who are so good at trivia) and so we played in the morning and in the afternoon - both times “bridesmaids” never the “bride.” But it was fun and we’ve already met some people who are continuing on to Canada so we’ll see…
In the afternoon though Gerry & I thought we would give the Spa yet another try. In our “anniversary package” was included a ½ hr. couples massage. We made arrangements to have a neck, shoulders and back massage (something Gerry has done, but I have never tried…now I know why!)

After some initial confusion (they thought I had schedule Gerry’s couple massage on Tuesday and mine on Wednesday?), we were led off to the “treatment room” (and right there it doesn’t sound good) by two tiny women from the Philippines (I was thinking maybe they were going to walk on our backs?). They had us disrobe (I’m not really understanding why you have to completely disrobe for a neck and shoulders massage but I comply) and lie down on our side-by-side tables, putting our faces in the small slit that apparently is so you can breathe and is (no joke) carefully wrapped in toilet paper (oh that norovirus fun!). This has the added benefit (for them) that you can see absolutely nothing!

My technician starts by applying hot (and I mean really hot - they should use these microwaves up at the Grill to keep the hotdogs warm instead) oil and then the fun REALLY begins! I didn’t really think ANYBODY had hands and/or fingers stronger than Gerry but here she is starting the torture process (I think the fact that their names were Helga and Brunehilda should have been a tip off!) I was about to tell her that the knot she was trying to work out was in fact my shoulder blade but I thought maybe she really does know what she is doing.

After 25 minutes of this, she mercifully stopped, but something rather chilly on over the oil (I can’t believe I didn’t slip right off the table) and said we should rest for 10 minutes before attempting to re-dress. At that point the two technicians returned and the “sale” process began - wouldn’t we like to purchase some of this lavender-scented oil and “finishing crème” for use at home? (Curiously when you are using it at home yourself, you are to use only 3 DROPS of the oil…rather than the entire bottle!) Gerry said he didn’t think so but he was brave enough to ask how much does it cost (of course, the entire relaxation benefit of the massage was lost when he found out it is $50 each for the stuff!)

I do like being spoiled (it’s going to take a couple of times to realize that nobody is going to put my napkin in my lap for me and I will miss the chocolates on my pillow after turn down each night) but I think we’re not going to have as difficult a time returning to reality as some of our fellow passengers. (In the meantime my neck is still trying to recover!!)

tw

No comments:

Post a Comment