Thursday, April 26, 2012

Want to Save LOTS of $$ on your groceries?

This being Thursday today I received my weekly "box" - a large box of organic produce delivered to my front step each week.

A year or so ago I saw an article in the paper about a local produce company that delivers produce to your door.  How amazing it that?!?!  Turns out it was the same company that my niece (Beth) had delivering produce when she and her husband lived out in the Alaska bush country (Kotzebue).  AND it was also the very same company that was delivering produce to our friends, Jeff & An.

Full Circle
http://www.fullcircle.com

I cannot recommend Full Circle Farm highly enough!!!

Here's why:
  • I actually save $$ each month - more than enough to justify having them deliver to my door each week!  I also seem to have plenty of "proteins"  in my freezer and still go to my local grocery to stock up on sales.  But I find myself not making the (often) daily trip to the store - a "quick" trip for one little thing for dinner, only to find myself out the store an hour later with a $75 bill because I saw something I just had to have.
  • It's fun!  On Friday at noon I get to see what's coming in next week's box.  Even if it looks pretty darn good to me, I always check to see what I could "trade" for (substitute) because sometimes I just don't want green kale, red kale and swiss chard all in the same week.  We certainly have our favorites (I've totally rediscovered how much I love swiss chard - something my grandpa grew when I was a kid.  I don't remember really loving it as a child but then I don't remember my mom frying up some bacon, sauteing some shallots, adding the chard and some chicken broth, braising for 30-45 minutes while getting the rest of dinner finished and adding that splash of red wine vinegar at the end to complete the dish.  Actually come to think of it, I don't really remember my mom having shallots, chard or red wine vinegar as staples in our house!) 
  • It's educational.  I've discovered vegetables I never knew anything about.  Some have turned out to be treats (see chard/kale above), some were interesting but too labor-intensive to want to see again (fava beans - though they do go well with a nice chianti!) and some (not many...actually at this point only one) will not make a reappearance anytime soon in my box (Jerusalem Artichokes - which oddly are neither from Jerusalem NOR artichokes - are just not interesting enough to use up one of my weekly choices).
  • It's fun!  I know I already used that reason but it really is.  Who doesn't like get a package? Each week on Thursday morning before 5 am (in the 1 1/2 yr. that we've been getting boxes, they've only missed twice!) I have a package on my doorstep.  It's quite a big box (we get the Garden size box.  I thought about downsizing to the new slightly smaller Sprout box but we actually eat the veggies - all of them - with little/no waste so until that changes we're staying with the bigger box!) filled with 12-14 "treats" - both fruits and vegetables.
  • It's soooo convenient!  Full Circle has expanded their options/services so they now have 4 different sizes of boxes, and though you are limited to what day you will have produce delivered (either to your home or to a nearby drop location), they are so responsive if you want to make changes:  promptly responding to any emails I send, correcting any delivery problems, vacation holds, whatever!
Seriously folks!  If you are in Washington, Idaho, Alaska, (and soon) SF Bay area, you should check out Full Circle Farm.  You won't be disappointed!  (Tell them I sent you!)

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment