Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Water, Water Everywhere

Rule # 637...Okay - not really.  I just wanted to see if you were really paying attention.  Actually I've decided to discontinue my numbering since the numbers were a lot like the points on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" and I couldn't always remember myself (which is not saying much since I'd only gotten to #2).

Today's lesson:

Water.  It Does A Body Good.
- or -
Drink...a lot...and often!
[Travis Lynch, son-in-law]

Now I didn't really learn this lesson from Travis since it's been one of my mantra for years and years, but Travis really has taken up this mantra with gusto.  If you complain of most anything, he'll ask if you've had water.  He believes it to be the first line of first aid:  Got a headache?  Drink water.  Got muscle cramps?  Drink water?  Trying to deliver a baby?  Drink water.  (Okay, that last one he said to my daughter, Jenny, during delivery of an 8+ lb. baby and I'm not sure that either she or her doctor agreed at the time that drinking water was the best approach at the time, but you get the point.)

Doctors recommended 8-10 glasses a day (until recently - "they" are now scaling back on that but I'm not yet convinced).  But Travis is right - water is good for everything from headaches, to muscle aches, for weight loss and concentration.    It's amazing how fast acting it can be!  If you're dieting, try having a full glass BEFORE sitting down for dinner.

Upside of drinking water:  it's FREE (or it can be - do you really need that bottled water all the time?), it's easy, it works!

Downside of consuming 8-10/day:  initially you'll have additional "reading" time (aka the bathroom library) but soon your body will adjust to the extra intake and will adjust as necessary.  Other than that no other detriment has been determined.

So next time you're reaching for that aspirin, try just the water first (you were going to drink it with the pills anyway) and wait a few minutes.

So go get a glass of water!

Cheers!

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment