Monday, July 8, 2013

I Scream, You Scream...

July is National Ice Cream Month!

(Have I mentioned how glad I am to live in this country!)

Anyway, with the remodel nearly complete and Jenny's in-laws thoughtfully upgrading her to a bigger/better ice cream maker (so I inherited her previous one along with her extra freezer bowl) I can now make LOTS of ice cream!  This coincided nicely with our decision to get our dairy products delivered by Smith Brothers' Farms (I LOVE THESE GUYS!)

And as if that weren't enough - I have discovered the easiest ice cream recipe EVER.  It makes delicious ice cream that a) requires NO EGGS; b) requires no cooking; c) requires only 3 basic ingredients (which produces wonderful vanilla ice cream but could easily be added to in order to make any flavor you can imagine!); and d) requires no advance "refrigeration" of the mix before you can even begin to freeze it.  I mean, seriously - how amazing is that!!!

So here it is, my new favorite ice cream recipe:

2 C. Half & Half
2 C. Cream
1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk - big difference!)

Mix it together with a splash of vanilla for vanilla ice cream.  We've also tried adding some raspberries (yum) or some peppermint extract and wonderful chocolate chunks (okay - so that one is a work in progress.  Those minty extracts are pretty powerful and this first attempt wound up tasting like you'd just rinsed with mouthwash and then had some really great dark chocolate.  It either needed a lot less extract or a LOT more chocolate to balance those flavors!)

I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (which can be found everywhere for under $60) and now keep all my freezer bowls in my freezer - ready at a moment's notice to make yummy frozen treats.  I'm also going to experiment with frozen yogurts and sorbets.  Fun and delicious!

So go enjoy the month and make yourself some ice cream!

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment