Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Little Bit of Magic

 
A cup.  Yes, a Christmas cup.  I know - it's just the first week of November.  But I love this cup, I love the way my tea just tastes better when drunk from this particular cup, I love what it symbolizes!

I haven't completely left the reservation - the tree isn't up or anything like that.  But around here, as much as I do enjoy Halloween, it's hard to wait for that first weekend in November when my tea cup becomes more festive, my tea spiced with cinnamon and cloves, my Pandora channel switches over to "Holiday," the quilt on my bed takes on a Christmas theme,  and the holidays begin in earnest around here.

Gerry and I like to make our Christmas gifts (as much as possible).  And those of you who make gifts know that you have to start a bit early in order to get everything accomplished.  We figured out a few years ago that since our gifts are "goodies" it didn't really make much sense to hold off giving them until late December.  By that time, everyone is almost "goodied" out and with the new year and all those resolutions just one week away, our treat box didn't stand much of a chance of getting the attention it deserved.

So we switched it up.  We try, really try, to get all of our packages in the mail on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We spend the day after Thanksgiving (while everyone else is not experiencing anything close to a "holiday spirit" at the malls) putting final touches on boxes and arranging for the postman to pick them up from our doorstep the following day.

This means that November is wild and crazy around here - not only anticipation of returning children and grandchildren, but working on our Christmas cards and letter, making/labeling/packaging all sorts of treats, listening to our embarrassing large collection of holiday music.  A bit of work but so much fun!

And with the bulk of the hustle and bustle behind us before December rolls around, we are left to truly enjoy the season of family, friends and activities without all the guilt and worry and stress.  It makes for truly wonderful holidays and I heartily recommend this approach!

But it starts that first weekend in November, savoring my Christmas Tea (from Murchies of course!) in my Lenox tea cup.  More than mere enjoyment of the tea itself, I begin anticipating working together with Gerry, packaging our goodies, decorating the house, a visit with all five grandsons.

Not too bad for a cup of tea!

~later, already in full holiday mode, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment