Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is This Going to Require A Presidential Pardon?

First let me say that I don't watch MTV, nor the MTV Awards Ceremony so I didn't actually see Kanye West when he took the microphone from Taylor Swift WHILE she was making her acceptance speech and declared that it should have been Beyonce getting the award instead of Ms. Swift (a rather shocked and no doubt embarrassed Beyonce saved the night when she won her award and she had Taylor join her on stage so that Ms. Swift could give the speech she would have if not for Kanye's antics.)

I've seen a few blurbs cross my Inbox about the incident, about the apology last night on Leno, and about how Mr. West has now surpassed Hitler in numbers of people who currently hate him.

But apparently President Obama has not learned (yet) that he might want not want to jump quite so feet first into these "charged" incidents ala "Henry Gates" (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32859148/ns/politics-white_house/). To be fair, it was clearly an off-the-record remark that was released by ABC's Nightline Co-Anchor Terry Moran (another person who really doesn't understand technology - he "tweeted" the President's off-the-record comment that Kanye was a "jackass" for his outburst at the awards and then "quickly deleted the comment but it was still accessible online").

From the little I know about the actual incident, I do concur with the President's conclusion. I just think this is not something he really needs to weigh in on.

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment