Monday, September 21, 2009

The Plan Takes Shape

Getting the cabins arranged on the Princess ship was only the beginning. Now it was time to take care of logistics. I was set to make reservations for us to return via Quick Shuttle directly from the Canada Place terminal in Vancouver when the first email arrived and tentatively asked:
  • Do we have to come back right away?
  • Maybe we could make a day of it in Vancouver?
  • Is there a later bus?... or maybe the TRAIN!

Okay, I could earn my keep as group vacation planner. I started exploring options. Yes, Amtrak has a train in the evening from Vancouver to downtown Seattle. Being the product of not one, but two, railroaders, I've always loved travelling by train. This was starting to sound like a special weekend!

The train was affordable - not much more than what we had planned on spending on the bus - so it was definitely an option. It seemed like there was plenty of space but I couldn't get us a reservation until I had all the passport information for each of our travellers. By the time I had that info, there weren't enough seats available and within a few hours the entire train was sold out.

Hmm...back to the bus I guess. But after a conversation with Carol it seemed another option might be a possibility. Perhaps, we could return via Kenmore Air float plane from the Coal Harbour Marina right next door to the Canada Place terminal. Since Carol works for Kenmore she would check that out.

The only real problem would be my incredible (yes, irrational...to some...not to me!) fear of flying, particularly in float planes designed to land IN THE WATER. I've tried to explain this phobia of mine: I'm a fairly law-abiding individual, obeying as best as possible all the laws of the land with specific attention paid to those laws of GRAVITY and NATURE. Just like the bumblebee, the design of which should make it absolutely, positively unable to fly, I view aircraft of all types. There is no way they should be able to get off the ground (or in this case the water) and once up there, the end result (I think the technical term is "landing") should involve disaster. Of course, this doesn't happen (much) but take offs and landings always leaving me looking for my rosary beads.

My stomach was in knots, but I agreed. Everyone was so excited and looking forward to this great adventure. I would suck it up and I would do exactly what I had previously vowed I would never do. If Carol could arrange an affordable flight home for us, I would join in as well.

The adventure continues...

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment