Friday, March 12, 2010

Adventures at Sea

Remember those gas turbine engines that delayed our start out of Los Angeles?

Last night was a rather late one - dinner at Sabatini's always takes some time and is fun to do with rookies. We had told them to go easy on the buffets that day and hopefully they had some "smooshy" pants that would accommodate the many courses they would be served. Amy and I agonized over the menu...I'm not usually a big fan of lobster tail (the one time I don't seem to gravitate towards the most expensive thing on the menu) but we were both tempted by the accompanying side - pumpkin risotto. So Gerry was quite shocked to hear me actually opt for anything other than shrimp when I ordered the lobster, as did Amy.

I really wish I had a photo of what must have been the look on our faces when our "secondi piatti" was set before us - there must have been an entire tablespoon of risotto! Fortunately we had tried (many) things before this course and actually a tablespoon was just about all we could have finished...but still...I'd have rather had a crawfish and more risotto.

Afterward we went to Club Fusion to watch the "Marriage Game" - loosely based on the "Newlywed Game" and "Deputy Dave" cruise director who was from England had to be instructed on the correct use of "whoopie" in a question (no, Dave, it isn't where was the strangest place you did a whoopie?") and this was followed by the final heat of Princess Pop Idol (which will no doubt lead to an interesting final since Matt succeeded in getting "Mustache Eric" - who is truly horrible - advanced).

By midnite, it was finally time to call it a night and we collapsed in bed immediately upon returning to our cabin. Sometime later, the phone rang. Now let me explain - the phone on the Sapphire Princess has quite the unusual ring and it was difficult to place from a dead sleep. Then there's the matter that the phone is on Gerry's side of the bed - requiring him to turn on a light, find the phone and answer it. This is never an east task. I only heard his side of the conversation: "No. Not really. Okay. Good-bye." so after I asked "who was it?" I had to have him relay te entire conversation: Your niece. Do you smell the gasoline? Everyone's congregating in the hallway - do you want to join us? Bye-bye."

By this time I'm up and yes, indeedy, it smells that we're pouring gas on the floor. I open our deck slider and can't smell anything out there so I quickly dress (while Gerry falls fast asleep again) and I head outside to meet the neighbors. The people across the hall have their little one up - they don't knowif it's time to flee the room yet. I ask if anyone's called about it and then head back to the phone to call Passenger Services: Yes, ma'am, we're aware of it. We've called the bridge and they say it's just the exhaust that has comeback down the stack and into the ventilation. No problem."

NO PROBLEM? Breathing exhaust? While I'm envisioning headlines something along the lines of Masada (Entire ship suffocates at sea. Total group effort.") and I'm not particularly happy with Passenger Services (this guy's ancestor probably told the passengers on the Titantic it was nothing to worry about - just a little ice), I'm going to be prepared - dressed and armed with my gray "Elite" cruise card which I'm thinking should get me priority seating on the lifeboat. I stand with the doorway and our deck slider opening creating quite a draft which the neighbors across the hallway are especially appreciative since theirs is an indoor cabin (note to self: always, ALWAYS get a balcony cabin as that's the only one with a window that opens!).

I hang out with Beth & Matt next door on their balcony for a bit - they are snuggling down for the night or the next few hours anyway on their deck chairs. I finally give into the idea that there would have been an annoucement of some sort if it was truly hazardous so I head back to our cabin and bed...but leave our deck wide open...just in case. (If you remember previous posts - we've toured the bridge, seen that it's all done by joystick and feel fairly confident at video games so if worst comes to worst....you see where this is going, don't you?)

It couldn't have been completely horrible - Gerry didn't get up until 7 am!!! and just headed to the gym. I'm going to go get ready as we are having "champagne" brunch this morning with the entire gang - celebrating with our prize of a bottle of "Chateau Last Thursday" which we earned at the movie music trivia night.

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment