Tuesday, July 6, 2010

We Are the Champions

Yes we have many, many blue Princess grocery bags and a seemingly endless supply of luggage tags and lanyards. But yesterday, the Diamond Princess recognized our true supremacy of all things trivial and awarded us a First Place Gold Medal in Trivia!

Lest you think I am totally unaware, let me assure you that I am cognizant of the fact that I could cure cancer, solve the financial crisis crippling this country and indeed the world AND reconstruct the ozone layer were it not for the sheer volume of flotsam and jetsam of arcane knowledge, tidbits and factoids swirling in my brainpan (like what play begins with the words "if music be the food of love, play on?" Answer: Twelfth Night - a play I've neither seen nor read. Or, name the two other ships in the White Star Line that were the same time/category as the Titanic. Answer: Britannic and Olympic - okay I got that one because I really do love studying about oceanic disasters, particularly all things Titanic. And Gerry's personal favorite: What do the words orange, purple, silver and month all have in common? I'll leave you to puzzle on that one!)

That being said, let me also assure you that in the unlikely event this ship capsizes in the frigid waters off the coast of Alaska in the next few days, while I will get wet and cold like everyone else aboard, I will be clutching my medal to my watery grave! And as there may be no orchestra on deck playing "Nearer My God to Thee" I will, no doubt, be humming Queen:

"We are the champions...of the world!"

(PS...today's walk, over 1 1/2 mile in under 24 minutes. Note to self: After walking an additional 1 1/2 mile into/out of Ketchikan yesterday, must write marathon organizers and see if they can arrange for the entire length of the course to be constructed out of wood similar to that on the Promenade Deck of the ship...much nicer to walk on that cement and gravel!)
~later, tw

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to all of you on your trek for gold - and you are not even mid way through so I'm thinking there may be another one? Does this mean you each were given a medal?

    Good job on the walking too!

    L&M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - we were each given a medal. To date we have played trivia 4 times and won 3 of them. Some of the other players are getting a bit hostile, but I don't see why - we haven't even PLAYED all the trivia available so we give others a chance too!

    tw

    ReplyDelete