Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Asian Inspired Soups

Gerry and I love to visit the little Chinese restaurant not too far from our home.  It's a quiet little place with great food/prices conveniently situated next door to our primary grocery store.  The lunch special can't be beat (I always pretend I'll try something new but I always select Kung Pao Chicken) which includes a bowl of either Hot & Sour Soup or Egg Drop Soup.  Gerry always picks the former and I, with equal certainty, always select the latter.

So on my ever-continuing quest to seek out and try new soup recipes at home, I thought maybe it was time I try each of these.  My first opportunity came one day when Gerry was out to lunch with some of his buds and it was a bit chilly which required something hot for me.  I discovered this recipe:

from Ali at Gimme Some Oven
 
Easy Homemade Egg Drop Soup -- tastes just like the restaurant version, but it's super easy and affordable to make at home! | gimmesomeoven.comA quick check of the pantry "green lighted" this recipe in a hurry.  The only change I made to the recipe was the omission of the creamed corn (I can't even remember the last time we had a can of creamed corn on the shelf!).  The flavors of the ginger, garlic and sesame oil were subtle and delicious - way, WAY better than anything had that starts with a packet of Ramen Noodles and it's dried (too salty) flavor packet.
 
Here's something I learned about making Egg Drop Soup from The Pioneer Woman:  There are two textures that can be achieved when you add the eggs.  1) Probably the more standard variety is created by whisking the broth mixture, STOP STIRRING and then pour the eggs into the swirling mixture without addition stirring.  This gives those "threads" of eggs, almost like noodles.  2) For a more creamy version, just keep on whisking the soup while you add the eggs and it will all become a blended, creamy soup.  In true Chinese restaurant fashion, I chose some from column A and some from column B and wound up with a creamy soup with some strands of "egg noodles".  DELISH!
 
We like to have a soup going all the time (either fresh from the soup pot or rewarmed from the fridge) as it makes an easy, EASY meal (especially now that I've discovered I can make BREAD!) and we've really liked what eating a lighter meal in the evening does for both our waistlines! 
 
I really love vegetable soups (don't think I've actually found one I haven't enjoyed) and what with Lent beginning this week I'm always on the look out for another non-meat recipe to add to the repertoire.  This week's version is a real winner: A vegetable soup with a very different flavor profile!
 
from Joanne at Eats Well With Others
 

nine vegetable hot and sour soupIn order to make this soup, I did have to visit the grocery store (we don't usually have cabbage of any variety on hand).  Turns out when I got home I didn't have any bok choy either (which is actually more of a surprise than you might think - anytime it's available as a choice from my delivered veggie box I always pick it!) but this recipe is easily adapted to include whatever vegetables you might have on hand.  In this case, though the author doesn't groove on celery, I do.  And I think that celery (though definitely not as much fun as bok choy - I even love saying the word "bok choy"!), does resemble the non-leafy part of bok choy.  If you sub different vegetables though you might just want to change when they get added.  In my case, because I used celery I opted to throw it in with the onion in the first step.  Unfortunately (for this soup) I had used up the last of my "leafy greens" (which I think are pretty interchangeable) in the quiche the day before but I would have sliced up any chard, spinach and/or kale and added it at the end (in the bok choy step).  No tofu was harmed in the making of this soup (as I really do NOT like tofu at all!) and I don't think it detracted from the final product, which was INSANELY delicious. 
 
Since I had not experienced Hot & Sour Soup before I asked the resident family expert on this (the hubby) if I had come close.  He said this was so much better because there was so much more depth of flavor.  Another winner!
 
 
The Cake
Finally, a bit of motherly bragging:  Jenny, our daughter, recently made a birthday cake for her friend's daughter's 4th birthday party.  This little girl, like pretty much every little girl on the planet, wanted a "Frozen" cake.  Here's what Jenny created:
 
And coordinating cupcakes

~later, tw
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment