Sunday, February 8, 2015

I can make BREAD!

It's true!  I've learned how to make bread.  But first the main course...

This year I'm trying to focus on soups - all kinds of wonderful, delicious, comforting soups.  There really is just something about a bowl of soup.  It nourishes body and soul, stirring up memories long forgotten.  And the SMELL - from the first moment you start it, the whole house smells absolutely wonderful.

Okay.  So we are all in agreement now that soup is a fabulous thing (probably the 8th Wonder of the World).  One would only have to check out my Pinterest Board entitled Soups, Stews, Chilis and Chowders to see the extent of this love affair I've got going with soup.  I'm committed to trying each soup I've got pinned there (which is turning into something of an arduous task since I keep finding MORE recipes each day!)

Tonight's entry is:

Katerina Petrovska
 
Once again I immediately was drawn to this recipe because I actually had everything to make it right on hand in my kitchen (always a good start to any recipe!).  The recipe calls for Mexican (or fresh) Chorizo.  I buy this in a 3 lb. chub at Cash & Carry (a local restaurant supply store).  Often stores will carry Spanish Chorizo.  This version is actually a smoked meat which you can find in the deli section of the store (wherever they have other types of sausages).  You actually can use either (just diced up the sausage if using that type).
 
When I was describing the recipe to my sister (as a possible soup creation for her budding 2nd grade chefs at her school), I realized that it reminds me of the classic Weight Watcher Chili.  (Just substitute hamburger for the chorizo and green beans for the "any other type of bean.") 
 
But as I said I actually had the called for ingredients on hand and made it (this time) exactly according to the recipe.  Spicy, but delicious!
 
The thing is there is an unwritten rule that soup must have a "go with" item.  Soup & salad.  Soup & crackers (buttered - thanks mom for teaching me that lesson!).  Soup & bread.
 
Ah, yes.  Soup and a really good bread.
 
So clearly just working through my Soup Board will not be enough of a task this year.  I'm also going to work through my Breads Board.  This could be a real challenge because I've never been much of a bread baker.  I think it requires an amount of patience I apparently did not receive at birth.  But I'm up for a challenge (heck it's just barely February - I can't throw in the towel now!!!)
 
So to go with my very spicy soup I made an artisan bread.  Yes, you read that correctly - an artisan bread!!! 
 

 
That's MY LOAF of bread!!!  It was delicious!!
This was truly an amazing experience.  Trust me when I say - Yes, You Can!  You can make bread!!!  There are only four ingredients.  It only calls for 1/2 tsp. of yeast.  That means you can make FOUR loaves from a single packet of yeast (in case you don't want to commit to purchasing an entire jar of yeast.   But I recommend you buy the entire jar, keep it in your fridge and NEVER buy store-bought bread again!!!)
 
If you don't have a cast-iron pan I highly recommend the purchase of a Le Creuset dutch oven (I used my 3 1/2 qt. signature round which is pretty much my "go to" pot for everything).  It's perfect for making this bread.
 
I can't wait to try it again using some fresh rosemary...or maybe some grated asiago...or... I'm never buying bread again!!!
 
~later, tw
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment