Sunday, March 8, 2009

Uh....Not This Granny!

What to do when your mother (grandmother to your children) turns 84? Carol Brown of Lake Okeechobee, Florida came up with a rather unique gift idea - certainly one that is "unreturnable" and most likely "un-re-giftable".

Carol wanted to give her mom the chance to once again "ride on the back of a boy's motorcycle" like she had done in the 30's. She advertised on craigslist for someone to "Come Give Granny A Ride On Your Hog" and Ron Borowski of nearby Palm Beach County said "you bet."

See June Brown has cancer and the doctor has told her and her husband of 64 years that she doesn't have much longer. This may well be her last birthday and it certainly was one to remember. Carol was afraid her mother would be frightened if a stranger rode up on his Harley so she waited until the day before the big event to even tell her mother about her gift. June spent the remainder of that day calling everyone she knew to tell them about it!

The next day she paced up and down the block, waiting for the sound of the motorcycle. When Ron showed up they spent quite a bit of time making small talk before he asked if she'd like to go for a ride. At first she said no but with some coaxing and assistance from her three daughters, she was eased onto the back of bike and off they went.

It was a memory neither she nor her family will ever forget! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29568715/

Now as a grandmother of an 18-month old and soon-to-be grandmother to another grandson, I'm all about creating memories. I'm just hoping that my kids remember that the only time I rode on the back of a boy's motorcycle when I was a kid I burned my leg on the exhaust (I think - I've studiously avoided all things "motorcycle" since that time!) and I'm not looking to recreate that memory at all! (But I wouldn't turn down a nice cruise!)

tw

1 comment:

  1. I must admit I read your blog with a little apprehension as "Come Give Granny A Ride On Your Hog" definitely could have gone the wrong way!! She's lucky a bunch of creeps didn't show up at her door. About the cruise... would you settle for a ferry ride?

    ReplyDelete