Thursday, May 16, 2013

And Now the End is Near...

Okay, maybe not exactly "near" but definitely within sight!

When I left yesterday (to earn books by volunteering at a Scholastic Warehouse Book Fair), I noticed that the oven...the much anticipated, REALLY LARGE wall oven, was standing in the garage... OUT OF THE BOX!  Could it be that it was about to be installed?

I know this entire project came about because the new dishwasher would not fit in the old dishwasher's place (which naturally meant the entire kitchen AND dining room had to be remodeled to accommodate it - right?  I mean, you DO get that?)  But what I was really looking forward to is the new REALLY HUGE Whirlpool Gold 10 cu. ft. Double Wall Oven with True Convection Cooking.  I mean, I will be able to get a full steam table-sized pan in it...them...actually several....AT THE SAME TIME!  I hope you're appreciating this because before this new oven, I basically was baking with an EASY BAKE OVEN!  I could only get a cookie sheet into either oven IF it didn't come with little handles that stick out.  Oh, the things I shall bake!!!  I was so excited to see it in place and to be able to set the clock!

Alas, the was about the end of it for a week or so...

After installation, the balance of the day was spent on the initial prep work for the floor finishers to come next week.  Everything in the kitchen was carefully wrapped in plastic (including the new oven) and doors to the powder room and hall closet removed.  The rest of the house is being closed off with plastic "curtains" - the piano room, both stairways (no easy trick that!), the office and laundry room and finally the TV room.














The temporary kitchen (aka the re-purposed laundry room) became a bit more crowded as I quickly "rescued" some cereal and bowls/cups/silverware that will tide us over for the next few days as we will no longer have access to either the "pantry" or the refrigerator (now safely hidden behind the plastic curtains).



It's strange to see our foyer once again - refrigerator free and without the protective covering the floor.  It's been two-and-a-half MONTHS since this project began and now we've eaten our last meal out there.  (I'm SO ready to have a real kitchen again!)



The kitchen / dining room seems cavernous and echoes loudly now.  Soon it says...soon!

later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment