Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya...

...tomorrow.

Well, we (the builders & I) are extremely hopeful that our countertops will be delivered/installed tomorrow.  Todd is, even as I write this (so no pictures just yet) finishing work on the island (stay tuned for the "contest to name this enormous island - I think you could actually see it from space if we didn't have a roof!).  Everything is going to be absolutely ready for tomorrow.  (Monday is the back-up plan but I'm not certain I could last the entire weekend!!!!)

In any event, while waiting for the granite, I thought I could share a new recipe.  Turns out cooking on the gas burner in the gazebo is not so bad when it's a gorgeously sunny day such as yesterday morning at 6:30 am (well I wanted to be done before the builders showed up!) although it might have been a bit better if it wasn't only 32 degrees!  I can brown meat, etc. outdoors and then dump it in the crockpot to simmer all day (because everyone expects to have CHILI on May 1st - what's with this weather???)

Not only is this a just plain great recipe for chili, it called for all sorts of things I was actually trying to use up (mushrooms from the produce box and zucchini - LOTS of zucchini.  Are they in season now? I thought they were "in" later in the summer).


Read the suggestions - I added a can of kidney beans and a can of garbanzo beans (I thought about a can of pinto beans too - I didn't have black beans on hand) but thought maybe my crockpot would be too full.  I should have added them (I like my chili to be extra chunky).  I sauteed the zucchini with some crimini mushrooms I had on hand.  I would have like to replace some of the liquid with some beer (because it gives it a great flavor) but didn't have any on hand (note to self for next time!)  I also made my own taco seasoning (and used 1/2 in this recipe).  The hubby and son gave this meal many thumbs up!

~later, (hopefully with fabulous photos tomorrow!) tw

2 comments:

  1. I can not believe you did not have any beer in your house.... that is horrible .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - crazy, isn't? I blame it on the fact that it's just been a pain to go out to the gazebo during construction. (That and the fact that we have a LOT of wine on hand right now :)

    tw

    ReplyDelete