Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bran

Following my success with kale yesterday, I thought I would introduce another food item which also increases your "health points" just by thinking the word...and ingesting it (when assembled in an appropriate delicious fashion) sends your HP soaring!  Oh yes, my brother, we're talking BRAN.

A bit of history first.  A million years ago (or so), when we lived in Missoula, I would "do ceramics."  It was something fun to do with my mom.  We would go to "ceramics class" at Marci's house each Wednesday evening.  Around November everyone would be frantically trying to finish projects for holidays (ah...a time when I actually could FINISH projects.  What a dim, distant memory that is!) and Marci would arrange for us to have a "catch up" evening.  To make it even more festive, it would be potluck.  You could bring whatever you would like to share BUT you had to have the recipe ready to hand in as well.  In December Marci's gift to each of us would be the "recipe book" she compiled from our cards.

There were some fabulous recipes (especially from Marci since in a former life she had worked at 4B's restaurants in Missoula and if you ever had their incredibly delicious tomato bisque soup you've enjoyed one of her creations!)  In one of these "booklets" was a recipe for the most amazing bran muffins - moist and delicious, two adjectives not typically associated with anything bran.  SO EASY TO MAKE!  And even better (although I assure you - they had me at EASY and DELICIOUS), the "batter" will stay perfect in your fridge for up to SIX WEEKS!

The only problem was somewhere in one of the many moves, relocations, full-out kitchen remodel, the recipe was misplaced.  I was afraid it was actually lost for good (not unlike Gerry's first fudge recipe) and I was doomed to having only fond memories of a taste sensation gone by.

But I remained determined to give it one more try (and thereby, at least temporarily, forego other tasks that just plain seemed overwhelming to me - like getting the last few things still out of place from the remodel put away), I set out on a search.  I found a stack of "cooking papers" - recipes that I'd pulled from magazines, printed from the internet, written on scrap pieces of paper and I began to plow through them.  Gerry momentarily took his eyes from the game to look over and ask what I was searching for and I told him I knew exactly what it would look like.  I remember (though I don't have any idea how I remember) that it was printed on Christmas green paper.  And...lo and behold...there it was!  I was ecstatic!!!!

And so I'm going to share this recipe publicly with you - because breakfast is just that important, because it includes that uber-healthy bran which I know you want to include more of in your diet and because frankly you are worth it.  (Okay really because I want to make sure it's in a place where I will be able to find it again when I lose it the next time!)

Bran Muffins

Ingredients

1 cup oil
3 cups sugar (or a mixture of sugar/honey/Agave to equal 3 cups)
4 eggs, beaten
1 qt. buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1-15 oz. pkg. Raisin Bran

Instructions

  1. Mix all ingredients.
  2. Bake at 375 F. for ~15 minutes.
  3. Batter will keep in refrigerator for SIX WEEKS.

Terri's tips:
  • You can obviously adjust this recipe to make it healthier (this one's from the 70's - we didn't know about the evils of oil, sugar, etc.) Experimentation will be required (as I actually just made it according to the recipe this time)
    • Oil:  try replacing some/all of the oil with applesauce
    • Sugar:  try replacing some of the sugar with a combination of sugar & honey (or even better Agave).  You may need to increase the flour by as much as 1 cup.
    • Flour: I would imagine that you could do a combination of white and wheat flour.
    • Salt: Sounds like a lot but you're making A LOT!  Resist the temptation to reduce this amount.
  • I have a small (6 cup) muffin pan and you really can't imagine how special an ordinary weekday morning becomes when you start the day with muffins - RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN!!!!
So there you have it - Breakfast and BRANA seriously great way to start your morning!

~later, wishing I had taken a photo of the wonderfully warm muffins right out of the oven this morning but deciding to post anyway, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment