Friday, October 11, 2013

Can You Believe It?

Yours truly had been admitted to HARVARD!

Really!!!!  HARVARD!!!!

My mom would be so proud...and pretty darn surprised (and then wondering how she/we were going to pay for it)!

Yesterday my sister-in-law (Annie - THANKS!) pointed me to a website for a free online class being offered by Harvard University (yes, THAT Harvard University):  Science and Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science.  Top chefs and Harvard researchers explore how everyday cooking and haute cuisine can illuminate basic principles in physics and engineering, and vice versa.

Each week through mid-December a topic such as Phase Transitions, Energy, Temperature and Heat or Elasticity will be discussed.  The course includes video presentations that are neither too lengthy to maintain interest or too "geeky" for the non-science person.  Just really fascinating stuff.  The labs appear to be practical and don't require special gadgets and there is a recipe to try each week based on what we've learned (Week 3 - Phase Transitions - will be ice cream.  I'm in!)  There is also opportunity to "chat" with fellow students, who happen to be from all over the world!  Lest you think that labs and homework is just too much for your schedule as we head into the holidays, you can absolutely AUDIT this class.

And finally...did I mention it's FREE!!!!!

I don't hold out any hopes that participation in this class is going to dramatically improve (or even change) my cooking strategies at home.  But at least when failures occur, I will know that it was the "science" of it (and not just me!)

I hope I see you in class!

~later, Harvard's newest alumni, tw

(PS - Anyone know what time my new school plays this weekend?  GO CRIMSON!)


No comments:

Post a Comment