Thursday, April 25, 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Kitchen...

...everywhere you see.  While I tried to have them match the original colors of the dining room (a barely, almost undetectable green tint for the ceiling and what I'm sure those old enough to remember as "avocado green" for the walls), we had some disastrous results.

I'm not extremely great at choosing colors but I do like to at least think big and bold.  I really loved the dining room colors and opted to bring the wall color throughout the dining room and new kitchen.  And though most of my life appears chaotic, there is some organization.  I keep a 3-ring binder (thank you mom for introducing me to the value of that idea!) with information about each room and specifically actual paint chips for each color used.

I gave this to my contractor and he had another company "match" them.  Now I'm sure they did an excellent job...except...the greens were REALLY GREEN.  I mean LIME GREEN.  And my formerly nearly unnoticeable barely-there green ceiling was pretty much IN YOUR FACE GREEN.  And the walls...?  Well, the walls were almost identical to the ceiling.  Which is when the painter, a really nice kid, brought it to my attention.  "Did you mean for the ceiling and walls to be the same color?" he asked.

Again, I wish I had a photo of what I'm sure must have been quite a startled look of horror on my face.  NO!!!  Stop painting now please while I call the contractor and find out what we're going to do about this.

David came right over with a huge box of paint chips from Parker Paint so I could find one I liked.  I started by matching a chip to the existing not yet repainted wall.  Because of the base used to create my "custom" color, I wasn't going to be able to turn these 3 gallons of paint into that.  Okay I said, show me what I can have.





The guys were great (especially the one who was looking at putting yet another 2 coats of paint on the vaulted ceiling of my dining room - we opted to forego the pale green here and just go with the same ceiling color as in the kitchen/TV rooms).  "Don't worry about the cost - get what you want" (they've clearly been taking lessons from Gerry).  No, I'm not about to waste 3 gallons of paint if I don't have to.  I'm a team player.  Fortunately, there was a perfectly great color, just a shade lighter than what I previously had and after David confirmed that Parker could remake the paint into this new color (Pole CL 2023W), painting once again resumed. 

Of course even this wasn't without a little scare - Gerry was attempting to photograph for my blog.  As you can see, flash photography doesn't always tell the exact truth!

The first photo he took he thought the wall in the foreground was actually BLUE!



Okay now the foreground is closer to what you actually see but the far wall (in the dining room) - OY!

 














In any event, painting of the kitchen is now completed.  And the cabinet hardware is in and makes it start to look even more like a kitchen.  The granite guy was here most of yesterday morning (the island is huge and the sink fixtures a bit complicated and we definitely want him to be able to get it right on the first try!)














I think we're still on target for our "soft opening" date of Memorial Day (Monday, May 27th) - hope you're around!

~later, tw

No comments:

Post a Comment