Friday, April 19, 2013

Murder's Row Is Now Complete

It arrived...finally!  The last piece for the island, the one that mistakenly was shipped to Elko, NV, finally arrived.  All the pieces for the island are now in place.

This means that we are starting to see the remainder of our "living areas" throughout the house return to some semblance of normal...well, not quite because there are still a few boxes and things remained covered in plastic.  But there's hope!














We can watch TV again and Gerry doesn't have to move the couch back each night when we're done .
We still cover though!

The only problem remaining was the 27" base for the beverage bar.  I distinctly remembered ordering the unit with one drawer and two pullouts but when it arrived it came with 2 drawers and one pullout.  I just didn't see how this was going to work - no way I've got enough wine "doo-dads" to fill one 27" drawer, let alone two.  I stewed about this for two nights...

It finally occurred to me that my problem with wasn't so much with the two drawers...it was with the single pullout.  Where was I supposed to store wine glasses, bottles, etc.?  And then I had a "scathingly, brilliant beyond brilliant idea!"


I patiently awaited Todd's arrival Wednesday morning (okay...not so patiently, but as best as I could manage!)  I wanted to run this idea by him to make certain it would work.

I would keep the base (because that would keep us on schedule with the granite guy coming next week) IF we could use one of those 21" hanging cupboards that we had ordered but had to change because we weren't taking out the exterior wall (oops!).  The darn thing was just sitting in its box in the TV room - taunting me for with that mistake.

So instead of wasting both the hanging cabinet (on me) AND the base unit (on the designer), instead it's become a win-win.  Sue is going to order a glass door and Todd is going to put lights into it (like the china hutch their building for me) so it will become a beautiful display addition to the bar area and a great place to put my crystal wine glasses.  (More importantly the granite guy can come and finally template the entire kitchen next week!)

The wine fridge is now in as well leaving only the double oven and the cook top in the garage (the cook top will be going on an adventure next week as the granite guy will take it with him in order to precisely  place it in the granite).



Should we add the "dummy" handle to the right side of the door?
Additionally, the door hardware has been installed on the exterior door in the dining room and nook area (the back room will just have to wait until everything else is complete).  She did order "dummy" sets for the double doors (dining room and back room).  Here's your chance to vote - do you think we should put them on (it would look exactly like the one on the left side only it wouldn't actually "work")?

~later, hoping it's not too terribly much longer now, tw









2 comments:

  1. I vote no. Don't have a door handle that doesn't work. That is too confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what Carol said. :) As of right now the vote is two for / two against. Fortunately I have LOTS of time to make this decision :0)

      Delete